The links in the post below may be affiliate links that support our current homesteading needs at no additional cost to you! Read the full disclosure to learn more and find out what your purchases are supporting.
DISCLOSURE: Please note these statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This is for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.
This is a sensitive topic, so reader discretion is advised, although I will do my best to keep it PG by using "baking" supply analogies. I will be discussing "baking" and how to improve a marital type of relationship while creating less waste.
Recently I attended a different kind of Tupperware party. This kind of party was for empowering women, so that they can have closer relationships with their spouses. Different types of "baking" supplies were discussed to help achieve this closeness. Although I love the message behind the company (Pure Romance) and my friend who sells the products, they are not a zero-waste or plastic-free company. After attending the party, it got me thinking, first how grateful I am for my happy marriage and second, what are all of the zero waste and plastic-free options for "baking" as a couple?
There are several types of "baking" supplies available. For the most eco-friendly options, keep reading.
- You can buy new plastic-free "aprons"- as discussed in this review. You can also buy different styles of "aprons" that work for you and your spouse as used articles of clothing- see Why Buy it Used. Finally, you can also Make Your Own for free with used natural fabrics/organic fabrics. Vintage patterns are unique and easy to find for free online.
- You can buy "unscented extracts" to help increase interest and confidence, sold in glass for both men and women and you can add any essential oils/ perfume you wear for scent.
- You can always help your spouse relax by "kneading the dough" first. There are two essential oils that are great for calming down (lavender oil) and cheering up (ylang ylang oil).
- When it comes to "baking" toys such as Easy Bake Oven, buy stainless steel or glass versus plastic, rubber, or silicone for more durability. Avoid plastic most, silicone next, and use rubber as a biodegradable, but less durable option. My friend sells silicone options, which seem to be the most common. When you have finished using them, recycle in your electronics recycling program OR discretely here for Canada & USA and here for UK.
- For "greasing the pan", there are several waste-less and natural options available-
- Plain coconut oil, pure aloe vera gel, olive oil, almond oil, apricot oil, etc. (Not "rubber oven mitt" safe)
- 1/4 teaspoon xantham gum (bought in bulk) in a 1/2 a cup water ("rubber oven mitt" safe)
- Delicious Honey-Vanilla Body Oil
- Tingly Water-Based ("rubber oven mitt" safe!) "Grease" adapted from this recipe
1 cup COLD water
4 teaspoons arrowroot flour
5 drops peppermint essential oil (for cooling sensation) AND/OR 3 drops black pepper essential oil (for warming sensation)
In a small cooking pot, add the COLD water and arrowroot flour. The water must be cold or the arrowroot will clump up. Mix until combined. Slowly bring to a boil on MEDIUM-LOW heat, stirring often.
Once it boils, the liquid will look kind of like gelatin or glue. Remove it from the stove and pour into your container. Let cool slightly and add the essential oils directly to your container. Add more or less essential oils once you've tested this amount for comfort.
Store it at room temperature. Putting it in the refrigerator or freezer will allow a skin to form on the lube.
You may also enjoy Zero Waste, Plastic-Free Family Planning and Zero Waste, Plastic-Free Pregnancy Detection.
Waste Not Wednesday
Bouquet of Talent Party, Inspiration Galore Party Project, Nifty Thrifty Party, Inspiration Monday, Makers Make Party, Mix It Up Monday,Creative Corner, Creative Gallery, A Round Tuit, The Scoop Link Party, Clever Chicks Bloghop, Lou Lou Girls' Fabulous Party, Project Inspire, Totally Terrific Tuesday Link Party, Home Away From Home Party, Inspire Me Tuesday, Love Learn Bloghop, Share It Tuesday, Urban Naturale Blog Hop, Creative Muster Party, Homestead Blog Hop,Wow Us Wednesdays, Wonderful Wednesday Blop Hop, Homesteader Blog Hop, Wine'd Down Wednesdays,Wise Woman Linkup, Wow Me Wednesday, Wildly Original Link Party, Artsy Fartsy Link Party, Think Tank Thursday Link Up, This is How We Roll Thursday, Simple Homestead Bloghop, What to Do Weekends Party, Pretty Pintastic Party, Home Matters Party, Friday Feature Linky Party, Friendship Friday, Dear Creatives Linkup, Simple Saturdays Bloghop, Dare to Share Linkup, Saturday Sharefest, Share One More Time Party, Create Bake Make Party
Here's to closer "baking" as a couple with less waste!